Sunday, June 26, 2011

Honey, There's Something Wrong with My Brand New iPhone....

So since my hubby was laid off from work, he no longer has a company cell phone. Since we don't have a home (land line) phone, he kind of needed to have a replacement. Now, he's not the best at taking care of phones, in fact, he's been through more than our 17-year old son - which is really saying something - but he really, really, really wanted an iPhone. Since he pretty much always ends up getting what he wants, and because it was only going to to cost $49 for an iPhone 3, he got one. I made him get the Otterbox as well, to try to protect his phone from his destructive ways for as long as possible.

Over the next few days I got to hear about how "cool" his iPhone was and how much fun he was having with it using all the new features. See, his company phone did not provide anything but the basics - no text, no wi-fi, etc.  Prior to my hubby getting his iPhone, I had been using my son's old iPod Touch (which only had one speaker that worked if you used headphones). The Touch is very similar to an iPhone, so I knew how "cool" it could be and I found many of the applications very useful. Around that same time, my company cut me off from multi-media messages, downloading ring tones, etc. I have to admit, I was becoming a little green with jealousy.

Then my hubby had a brilliant idea: Since the iPhone is only $49, why don't I get one for myself? I pondered his suggestion for a bit - Did I really want to carry two phones? Could we really afford to add another line? After giving it some thought, I decided that yes, I really, really, really wanted an iPhone too - so I got one.

From previously using the Touch, I had some various accessories I had purchased off of eBay, including screen protectors. The screen protectors were a little late; however, since my son never used them and the face of the Touch had a few scratches on it already. Anyway, I no longer needed the Touch so I decided to use one of the screen protectors on my beautiful, new, non-scratched iPhone.

I spent the next couple of days joyfully downloading applications, creating new ring tones, and texting to my little heart's content. I had not, however, made or received an actual phone call yet. At least, not until I had to make a run to Wal-Mart. Walking down one of the aisles, I heard my favorite Def Leppard song, Rocket (one of the ring tones I had created), and realized my hubby was calling. I answered the phone, but could not hear a word he was saying. I pushed the little button to turn up the volume until it reached maximum capacity, and still could not hear well enough to make out what he was saying. I asked him to text me whatever he was saying - as I knew that feature worked well; I had been using it for days. I received his text, picked up his electrical tape, and when I got home, I experimented with my phone to figure out what was going on. I tried placing a phone call - I couldn't hear. I tried calling myself from my work cell phone - I couldn't hear. I finally convinced myself that something HAD to be wrong with my brand new beautiful toy. I was so sad.

The next day was Saturday and I was having a yard sale. I really needed to get my phone back to where I bought it to find out what was wrong with it, but I couldn't leave. I was afraid the store would close before I could finish up my yard sale, so I asked my hubby to take it in for me. Boy, am I glad I didn't take it in.

My hubby disappeared for a very brief period of time, and returned with a huge, you-won't-believe-what-I'm-about-to-tell-you smiles on his face. He showed me my phone, and pointed out that the screen protector I had so thoughtfully placed on my new toy to keep it from being scratched was actually covering up the earpiece on my phone. He then told me how much he appreciated my sending him to be the one to look like an idiot. Well, at any rate, the mystery was solved, and my brand new toy is working just fine, thank you! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment